Abstract, Oil canvas (signed), 65.5X50 cm.
About the artist:
Hannah Levy (Weiller), Israeli, born in Germany, 1914-2006
Hanna Levy was born in Berlin, Germany, in 1914, under the name of Anna Weiller. In 1934 she made Aliyah to the Land of Israel. In 1935 she began studying painting with Jacob Steinhardt in Jerusalem. After her lessons she would drive to Petach Tikva, where she worked at fruit picking until 1938. From 1940-1941 she lived in the artists’ colony in Motza, in the Judean Hills. In 1954 she married the painter and musician Yitzhak Levy. In 1953 she settled in Safed, and in the 1970s she exhibited at the exhibition under the auspices of the “Aklim” Group.
Most of Levy’s work was in portrait and landscape painting. Her early works were primarily portraits, influenced by German Expressionists such as Kokoschka. In the 1940s she began to experiment also with landscape painting, which became the main genre of her painting. Her painting underwent a gradual shift towards abstraction, which reached its peak in the 1970s.
Awards And Prizes
1978 Scholarship, The Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris, France