“Modern Artists” Exhibition 1926
The day in which the exhibition was opened (January 14th, 1926), was a celebration day for the artists group, a day in which their “creed” was spread as part of the printed exhibition catalog. Shlonski defined it well, and in his rebellious way saw the “Tent” as the synagogue of Israeli art. “A new synagogue… instead of god we will stand…” he stated. The role of organizing the exhibitions in “Tent” was given to the actor Yehuda Gabay.
The same little shed gathered three significant group exhibitions of Israeli art in the 20’s, between 1926 and 1928, one each year. 18 painters and sculptures participated in a total of three exhibitions.
In the first exhibition, in 1926, 20 sketches were presented, 6 copper works, 10 water color paintings and 39 oil paintings created by 11 artists: Guttman, Reuven, Lubin, Eliyahu Neeman, Shemi, Frenkel, Feldi, Livinovski, Yona Shecter, Tzyona Tajr and Zeritzki.
In 1927, the second exhibition was performed in which 53 pieces in water colors and oil were presented alongside sketches and sculptures of Nahum Guttman and Hanna Orelof. Almost all artists from the first exhibition participated in the second one: Guttman, Reuven, Lubin, Shemi, Frenkel, Feldi, Livinovski, Tzyona Tajr and Zeritzki (except for Eliyahu Neeman and Yona Shecter) and others joined: Persman, Bugrashov, Mosie David Navot, Eloeil, Sapoznikov (Elhanani) and Hanna Orelof.
In the third exhibition, in 1928, included Guttman, Zeritzki, Litvinovski, Lubin, Feldi, Frenkel, Shemi, Tziona Tajar, Mosie, Bugrashov and the sculpture Melnikov. The exhibition presented 52 pieces in oil, water colors and gouache, as well as sketches, wood work, and two sculptures.